Why use NEMA 14-50 instead of 6-50 for charging electric vehicles?

The NEMA 14-50 plug has four parts: two for electricity, one for balance, and one for safety. The balance part is only needed for certain devices that use two types of electricity. This makes sense for things like stoves and dryers because they have parts that use different types of electricity. But I don’t know of any charging stations for electric vehicles that need both types, so why do most use the 14-50 plug for charging? The NEMA 6-50 plug can handle the same amount of electricity but doesn’t have the balance part, which makes it cheaper to use when you have to run a long wire. It only needs a certain type of wire instead of a more expensive one. Using a 14-50 plug means you’re paying for a more expensive wire with an extra part that you probably won’t use. I chose to install a 6-50 plug when I redid my house a few years ago, and now it seems like I made the wrong choice.

Your 6-50 setup at home is perfectly adequate for EV charging; there’s no issue with that choice. However, opting for a 14-50 outlet offers several advantages:

1. Legacy Compatibility: 14-50 outlets are already prevalent, such as in campgrounds, meaning many drivers already possess 14-50 adapters.

2. Versatility: A 14-50 outlet can be utilized for a wider range of applications compared to a 6-50. Installing one provides additional functionality.

3. Marginal Cost Difference: The price variance between installing a 14-50 and a 6-50 outlet isn’t significant in the broader context.

Furthermore, the installation process often entails significant time and effort from the electrician, who might charge additional fees for the service call. Consequently, the difference in material cost between 6/3 and 6/2 wires, plus a slight increase for future-proofing, doesn’t significantly impact the overall expense, especially when considering the necessity of purchasing a 6-50 adapter regardless.

Other factors, such as cable type, conduit requirements, and whether the installation involves interior or exterior routing, also influence the total cost.

Thus, the total expense for a 14-50 installation might hover around $750, slightly exceeding the $700 estimate for a 6-50 setup. However, given the added versatility and compatibility benefits, the investment in a 14-50 outlet proves worthwhile, especially for future use beyond EV charging. (Note: The provided figures are illustrative, and individuals in the planning phase should conduct their own research.)