Why does Tesla choose glass for their roofs?

Hey everyone, I’m wondering why Tesla cars have glass roofs. I think it looks cool, but I’m not sure if it’s just for looks or if there are practical reasons too. I’ve looked into it a bit, and now I’m curious about how this design affects Tesla cars. Does it make them better in terms of performance, saving energy, or staying safe?

1 Like

According to Tesla owners cause i do not have one for real :grinning: the glass roof provides more space in both the front and back seats. The expansive glass creates an open, airy feeling, making passengers feel like they’re in the open rather than enclosed.

1 Like

Tesla’s choice of a glass roof is driven by both aesthetic and practical considerations. The design provides a sleek, modern appearance and creates a more spacious feel inside the car. However, it also has drawbacks, such as increased heat gain and potential for sunburn. Ultimately, whether a glass roof is a beneficial feature depends on personal preferences and driving habits.

1 Like

The all-glass roof aligns with Tesla’s energy efficiency initiatives. It allows sunlight into the cabin, which can help regulate the interior temperature, especially during colder months2.
The glass roof maintains a balance between insulation and natural light, enhancing overall comfort for occupants.

1 Like

Cost and manufacturing speed are crucial factors! Let’s dissect this step by step…

Metal roof:

1. Metal (spot welded in place)
  2. Primer
  3. Paint
  4. Clear coat
  5. Headliner plastic
  6. Headliner adhesive
  7. Headliner fabric
  8. Headliner fasteners

Glass roof:

1. Glass
  2. Urethane glue

During my time at Tesla, we opted to stick with the glass roof for the base Model 3, and here’s why: It’s significantly easier, faster, and more cost-effective to simply apply urethane glue and attach a glass roof over the metal roof. Introducing a metal roof would entail added complexity, requiring more steps, more robots, and more manual labor, which would ultimately increase production time and costs.