Why are electric cars so ugly?

In the US, most electric cars don’t look very nice, and the same goes for hybrids—they often have strange shapes, like the Prius. But when I moved to The Netherlands, I was surprised to see lots of electric versions of regular-looking cars. There’s a VW Passat wagon and a Mitsubishi SUV that you wouldn’t even guess are electric—they just look like regular cars. There are also electric BMWs and Mercedes. I wonder why they don’t sell these in the US or promote them more. Does anyone know why?

2 Likes

In the US, there is a trend for electric cars to follow the same pattern as conventional cars, getting larger on average. Just 25% of battery electric car sales in the United States were for small and medium models, compared to 40% in Europe and 50% in China. This suggests that American consumers may prefer larger vehicles, which could influence the design and availability of EVs.

2 Likes

I think it was just a passing fad that’s fading away now.

Early models tried to look “futuristic” to stand out from regular cars and make buyers think they were getting more than they actually were.

This trend caught on, with many designs trying to outdo each other with stranger and stranger styles and shapes. Most of these were ugly and made the cars look like toys, not serious vehicles. People didn’t buy them much, and instead of improving performance, which is expensive, manufacturers focused on flashy looks to save money.

You can still see some examples of this failed approach.

Tesla changed things by investing a lot of money into better performance and shifting the visual design closer to classic car looks while still giving it a high-quality, advanced style.

1 Like

Electric cars’ designs have varied widely, but some early models may have focused more on functionality than aesthetics. However, newer models prioritize both efficiency and attractive design to appeal to broader markets.