What is better for an electric scooter 🛵 ? Lead Acid battery or Lithium Ion?

I have recently started working with DoorDash as a high school student to earn some extra cash, and I am considering buying an electric scooter for deliveries. I have been looking at offers on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace, but I am stuck on deciding between a scooter with a lead-acid battery and a lithium-ion battery.

I have heard that lithium-ion batteries are more popular and generally better, but there are concerns about fire risks. My mom is worried about this, and now I am unsure which type of battery would be safer and more reliable in the long run. Can anyone here share their knowledge or experiences with both types of batteries? I would appreciate any advice or insights you can offer.

Go with the lithium-ion battery for your electric scooter. They’re lighter, last longer, and charge faster making them perfect for DoorDash deliveries. While there are some fire risk concerns, they’re rare if you use the charger properly. I’ve found them to be much more reliable and efficient than lead-acid batteries. Just follow the safety guidelines, and you should be good.

When it comes to vehicles, hybrid vehicles are the most likely to catch fire, followed by gas vehicles. While incidents involving BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicles) tend to hit the press, they rarely catch fire compared to hybrids and gas vehicles, and BEVs are almost exclusively powered by lithium-ion batteries.

Here are two warnings that your battery is in serious trouble:

1. It has swollen.
  2. It is very hot.

Pay attention to these signs, and you should be fine. You might also notice other indicators of battery failure, such as the battery discharging completely in a short period after dropping below 50%, but not consistently, or the charge dropping 5-10% immediately after removing it from the charger.

There is plenty of advice online on how to extend the life of your battery. Start reading up on it and ensure you follow the guidelines, like keeping your scooter out of extreme hot or cold weather.

Also, if you’re considering a side hustle that depends on the vehicle, make sure you live somewhere with favorable weather. High winds, rain, or other bad weather conditions can make your side hustle extremely weather-dependent.