What Are Some Affordable Electric Car Options?

Hey guys, I’m feeling so tired and frustrated with how expensive electric cars are. I just want a normal, affordable car, you know? I keep hearing about options like the Bolt EV or Prius, but those still feel out of reach for me. I’m talking about something like a bare-bones Toyota Corolla, in the $19-20k range.

I mean, I appreciate all the cool features and extras on electric cars these days, but I can’t wrap my head around how people are affording these $50k vehicles. I really want to support the electric car movement, but it feels like it’s only accessible to the wealthy elite.

Anyone else feeling this frustration?

2 Likes

Well, if we’re comparing the base models, the Bolt starts at $26.5k while the Corolla is around $21.5k. But here’s the thing: even without factoring in any tax credits, the Bolt ends up being cheaper to own overall. Plus, with the current tax credit, it becomes even more affordable and cost-effective in the long run.

2 Likes

Wow, there’s so much misinformation floating around.

Here’s the breakdown, the electric components of the Bolt are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles, while the Corolla’s powertrain warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles.

According to sources, a Chevrolet Bolt EV will depreciate by 27% after 5 years, with a resale value of $24,683. On the other hand, a Toyota Corolla will depreciate by 21%, with a 5-year resale value of $19,177. It’s worth noting that the Bolt’s depreciation is $1,500 more than the $7,500 tax credit. So if you qualify for the credit, your five-year depreciation might only be $1,500.

In terms of overall cost of ownership, buying an EV seems to be the better choice.

Plus, my EV charges on solar power, so it’s much better for the environment. Even if I were to use the grid in my area (Midwest), EVs are still much more environmentally friendly. ICE cars are only 15-30% efficient, while EVs are 80-90% efficient. That means if I charged my EV using an industrial generator running on gas, it would still be more efficient than an ICE car.

And let’s talk longevity, the Ford F150 EcoBoost engine has a maximum reliable mileage of 200-230k miles, according to 4WheelDriveGuide. Meanwhile, there are Teslas on the road with over 500k miles. My i3 has almost 100k miles and still has more range than its specs claim. I recently attended a Corvette show, and those old cars are amazing. They may have low mileage and be babied, but they’re still great cars.

2 Likes

It seems like you’re questioning my maturity level Waff.

1 Like

At generally reasonable costs, Mach Es, Ioniq 5s, and ID4s are easily accessible.

I was in the same boat for ages. Electric cars sound awesome for the environment, but man, they’re pricey! I just wanted a normal car, something reliable that wouldn’t break the bank, you know, like a Corolla in that sweet $20k range.

Those fancy electric cars with all the bells and whistles? Don’t even get me started on those. $50k? Yeesh! I can’t believe people can afford them! Don’t get me wrong, I want electric cars to be a thing, but right now, it feels like only rich folks can play.

The base bolt is $26.5 and the Corolla is $21.5k.

Even without the credit the bolt will be cheaper to own. With the credit as it is today it costs much less and is much cheaper to own.

As far as I know, the only two new EVs around the $30K price mark are the Bolt and the Nissan Leaf.

The tax credit can make a difference. You can get $7,500 back on your taxes for certain new cars, but there are two catches.

The Leaf qualifies, but Chevy’s and Tesla’s cars do not.

You need to owe $7,500 in taxes to get the full credit. Unless you make over $80K a year, it’s unlikely you’ll owe that much in taxes.