Korean Electric Vehicles

Hey everyone, I’m finally making the switch to an electric vehicle (EV) and I’m super excited. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now, and with gas prices going crazy, it just seems like the right time. The only problem is, I’m moving to South Korea soon and I’m not sure what the electric car scene is like there. I’ve heard good things about Hyundai and Kia making some popular EVs, but is that all there is? Are there any good government incentives for buying EVs in Korea? How’s the charging infrastructure for EVs in South Korea? Besides Hyundai and Kia, are there any other Korean EV brands I should consider?

1 Like

I lived in South Korea and nearly bought a Kona EV. One big issue is that most Koreans rent apartments and can’t control their charging options. Many apartment complexes probably have chargers now, but having your own garage charger is still unmatched.

1 Like

Oh, this is quite interesting. I’ll be moving to South Korea soon, so would you recommend that I get an apartment with a garage charger? or assess the situation on charging options coz I am definitely getting an EV.

South Korea is an excellent place to make the jump to electric vehicles (EVs). Here’s a breakdown of the electric car scene there:

Korean EV Market

Strong Domestic Brands:

• Hyundai and Kia: Major players with popular models like the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and Kia EV6, which are well-regarded both domestically and globally.
  • Other Korean Options: Genesis offers luxury EVs like the GV60, and SsangYong is known for its upcoming KG Mobility electric SUV.

Government Incentives

Financial Support:

• The South Korean government provides various incentives for EV purchases, including subsidies, tax exemptions, and reduced registration fees, which can significantly lower the initial cost. For more details, visit the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport website here.

Charging Infrastructure

Rapid Growth:

• South Korea is rapidly expanding its charging infrastructure with a robust network of fast chargers along major highways and in urban areas, as well as numerous Level 2 chargers for home or public use.

Apps and Resources:

• Several apps and online resources can help locate charging stations throughout South Korea, aiding in trip planning and ensuring easy access to charging points.

Overall

South Korea is highly EV-friendly, with strong government support, a growing charging network, and innovative domestic brands like Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis, making it an ideal place to own an electric vehicle.

From what I’ve gathered, South Korea seems super EV-friendly, so any insights from folks who’ve been there would be awesome! Maybe I can find a sweet electric ride and join the green wave in Korea!