Is the Tesla Model 3 a good buy?

Hello guys,
Can you tell me about your experiences with the M3 compared to other electric cars? Is it reliable? How is dealing with Tesla?

I don’t want to talk about politics, I just want to know about real experiences. I’ve heard that repairs can be costly, and it’s hard to get parts from Tesla to fix things yourself.

When it comes to used electric cars, the M3 offers the best performance for the price. Plus, Tesla’s supercharger network is much better than other options, so it’s kind of pointless to consider many other competitors.

1 Like

Let me take you through the real-world experiences with the Tesla Model 3 and compare it to other electric cars.

1. Reliability and Mechanical Issues:
  • Our long-term test of the 2019 Tesla Model 3 spanned over 40,000 miles. While the car had its quirks, it proved to be mechanically reliable overall.
  • Major Mechanical Issues: We encountered a significant breakdown alert via the mobile app while the car was parked. It required a new $2500 rear-motor assembly, which was fortunately replaced under warranty.
  • Minimalist Interior: The Model 3’s interior is minimalistic, lacking a traditional gauge cluster in front of the driver. However, once we adjusted to this, we appreciated its quick acceleration, reasonable space, and comfort (though it can be a bit noisy on the road).
  • Efficiency: Keep in mind that an electric vehicle’s efficiency varies significantly with outside temperature. For instance, in our best month (August 2020), we averaged 107 MPGe over 1812 miles. In contrast, our worst month (February 2021) saw an average of 55 MPGe, almost 50% worse due to colder temperatures affecting cabin heating and charging efficiency.
  • Charging Costs: Charging costs vary widely. [Filling the Model 3 from completely empty to full could cost as little as $12 or as much as $32, depending on whether you’re using cheaper electricity at home or faster charging at Tesla’s Superchargers.
  1. Build Quality and Paint Issues:
  • Some Model 3 owners have reported issues with paint quality and overall build quality. These include unacceptably large panel gaps and loose trim.
  • [Tesla has been working on improving fit and finish, but it’s essential to inspect the car thoroughly before purchase.
  1. Dealing with Tesla:
  • Tesla’s service experience has evolved over the years. While it was once “white glove” and included free Supercharging, things have changed.
  • Be prepared for a different service landscape now. There’s more noise about EVs, and claims about charging costs and service have become bolder.
  • Tesla’s Supercharger network remains a significant advantage, offering faster charging infrastructure compared to many competitors.

In summary my experience in the Tesla Model 3 is that; It provides an excellent balance of performance, efficiency, and charging convenience. However, like any car, it has its quirks. If you prioritize electric performance and a robust charging network, the Model 3 is a compelling choice. Just be aware of potential build quality issues and consider the evolving service landscape.

The Tesla Model 3 stands out as an intriguing option for potential buyers. Here’s why:

Pros:

1. Fun Driving Experience: The Model 3 provides agile and enjoyable handling.
  2. Quick Acceleration: It’s not slow when it comes to speeding up, making it a thrilling ride.
  3. Impressive Range: With an estimated range of 272 to 341 miles, it’s great for longer trips.
  4. Competitive Pricing: The Model 3’s affordability has opened up electric vehicle (EV) ownership to more people.
  5. Tesla Charging Network: Tesla’s widespread Supercharger network makes long-distance travel conve