Is it a good deal to buy a 2013 Nissan Leaf for $6,000?

Hey there,
Basically, my current car keeps breaking down, so I’m thinking about buying a used Nissan Leaf for $6,000. I don’t know much about electric cars, but I’ve heard some negative things about the Leaf. I tried it out and it seems okay, but I’ve never driven an electric car before. So, I’m wondering if it’s a good deal compared to buying a regular used car for the same price. Just so you know, I only drive about 40 miles a day.

1 Like

Let’s explore whether buying a 2013 Nissan Leaf for $6,000 is a good deal, especially considering your daily driving needs.

1. Nissan Leaf Overview:
  • The Nissan Leaf was one of the pioneering mass-produced electric vehicles (EVs) and played a significant role in popularizing electric mobility.
  • As with any used car, there are pros and cons to consider.
  1. Pros of the 2013 Nissan Leaf:
  • Electric Efficiency: The Leaf is efficient for short daily commutes. Since you drive about 40 miles a day, the Leaf’s electric range should comfortably cover your needs.
  • Low Operating Costs: Electric cars generally have lower operating costs compared to gasoline-powered vehicles. Charging at home or public stations is often cheaper than filling up with gas.
  • Environmental Impact: Driving an EV like the Leaf contributes to reduced greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
  1. Cons of the 2013 Nissan Leaf:
  • Battery Degradation: The Leaf’s battery capacity may have degraded over time. Older models like the 2013 may not have the same range as when new.
  • Limited Range: While 40 miles a day is well within the Leaf’s range, longer trips may require planning around charging infrastructure.
  • [Model-Specific Issues: The 2013 Leaf had some issues, including problems with the braking system and a faulty hybrid inverter that caused sudden shutdowns.
  1. Reliability and Common Problems:
  • According to various sources:
    • Best Years: The 2014, 2015, and 2016 Leaf models are considered better in terms of reliability.
    • Worst Years: The 2011, 2012, and 2013 models had more reported problems.
    • Common Issues: These included braking system faults and hybrid inverter problems.
  • [RepairPal rates the 2013 Leaf’s reliability as Excellent]
  1. Comparison with Regular Used Cars:
  • Consider the following factors:
    • Fuel Costs: The Leaf’s electric operation is cheaper than gasoline. If you drive mainly short distances, this could save you money.
    • Maintenance: EVs generally have fewer moving parts, leading to potentially lower maintenance costs.
    • Charging Infrastructure: Ensure that charging stations are accessible near your home or workplace.
    • Driving Experience: Electric cars offer instant torque and quiet operation, which can be enjoyable.
  • Compare these aspects with regular used cars in your price range.
  1. Final Verdict:
  • If you prioritize low operating costs, environmental impact, and your daily driving aligns with the Leaf’s range, it could be a good deal.
  • However, have a trusted mechanic inspect the specific 2013 Leaf you’re considering to ensure it’s in good condition.

Remember that individual experiences may vary, so weigh the pros and cons based on your personal preferences and driving habits. If the Leaf meets your needs, it could be an excellent choice for your daily commute!

I recently sold my 2013 Nissan Leaf SV with fog lights and Bose speakers for over $7,000. It had 92,000 miles. I needed a car that could do a 70-mile round trip at 75-80 mph, without charging at work, so I sold it.

Trim level matters: S lacks a heat pump, CHAdeMO is optional, and requires eco mode to save power. SV has most SL features except leather seats. SL has everything, including auto parking brake.

When buying a Leaf, look for models made after April 2013 with the “wolf pack” battery, which is more heat-resistant. Earlier models had sensitive “canary packs,” and 2015 introduced the more durable “lizard pack.” High mileage isn’t as big an issue as exposure to heat.

My car was reliable except for a passenger seat sensor problem, which required replacing the whole seat. If issues arise, it’s usually a bad 12V battery, not the main battery.

Location can affect resale value. In my area, electric vehicles are less common, so prices are higher compared to 500 miles away. I used Carguru to find my car in 2015. If buying from far away, consider shipping or towing, as long-distance driving isn’t practical.

For advice on buying a used Leaf, check out the Leaf subreddit. It’s a helpful community that often discusses good and bad deals.

1 Like

Yes, it is. The used Nissan Leaf market offers incredible deals. You can find Leafs priced from $5,000 for older models up to around $8,000 for more recent ones. EVs generally have lower maintenance costs due to fewer moving parts. The Leaf’s battery components come with an 8- to 10-year warranty (varies by state).

1 Like

Let me do that boss. I will be happy if it works like that.