How hard would it be to put in a Level 3 charger at your house?

When I talk about electric cars with my friends, family, or clients, I’m good at answering their questions. But lately, more people have been asking if they can charge their cars quickly at home. Actually, they’re just plugging into a regular outlet in their garage every day after work.

I always tell them that charging up to 80% with a regular outlet helps keep the car battery healthy. But I want to explain better that fast charging at home is different from using a regular outlet.

I was wondering how much those fast chargers you see in public cost and what problems engineers face when installing them. Can rich people buy one if they really want to?

Fitting a DC charger into a residential property necessitates significant structural alterations and a considerable financial investment. In essence, the majority of homes lack the capacity to support such substantial power needs.

These problems pose challenges for engineers involved in EV charger installations, requiring solutions to ensure safe, compliant and efficient charging infrastructure:

Charger Installation Restrictions:

• Difficulty obtaining approval for charger installations in multi-unit dwellings.
  • Restrictions imposed by property management or homeowner associations.

Electrical Capacity Challenges:

• Limited capacity in existing home electrical panels.
  • Need for costly upgrades to accommodate Level 2 EV chargers.

Installation by Unqualified Personnel:

• Risks associated with inexperienced individuals or unlicensed electricians performing installations.
  • Potential safety hazards and code violations.

Skipping Permitting Procedures:

• Failure to obtain necessary permits and inspections for electrical work.
  • Lack of compliance with regulatory requirements.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) Issues:

• Compatibility issues between GFCI protection and EV chargers.
  • Nuisance tripping or malfunctioning outlets due to GFCI conflicts.