How do plug-in hybrids blend electric and combustion engines?

Hey everyone! I have a simple question that I can’t find the answer to. I’m interested in the Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV, but I’m not sure about something. I live in an apartment with no charging access, though the Hyundai dealer nearby is installing chargers. If I fully charge the battery and only drive in hybrid mode, getting the reported 78 MPGe, will that last for a whole tank of fuel (which is 12.4 gallons)? Does the regenerative braking give enough charge to prevent the battery from fully running out? If not, could you explain how it actually works?

2 Likes

Letme take you through on how plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) blend electric and combustion engines, focusing on the Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV.

1. Hybrid Mode and Electric Range:
  • The Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV combines a gas-electric hybrid powertrain with a larger battery than the regular hybrid version.
  • [The Santa Fe PHEV features a 13.8-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery that provides an electric-only range of 30 miles before the gasoline engine kicks in.
  • When you drive in hybrid mode, the vehicle intelligently switches between the electric motor and the gasoline engine based on driving conditions and power demands.
  • The reported 78 MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) refers to the combined efficiency when using both electric and gasoline power. It’s an estimate that considers the energy consumption in electric mode and the fuel efficiency in hybrid mode.
  1. Driving Range and Fuel Efficiency:
  • If you fully charge the battery and drive in hybrid mode, the Santa Fe PHEV will primarily rely on the electric motor for the initial 30 miles.
  • After that, the gasoline engine will kick in, and the vehicle will operate as a regular hybrid.
  • The Santa Fe PHEV is rated at 33 mpg combined when running on gasoline, which means it’s efficient even after the electric range is depleted.
  • Let’s calculate the total range:
    • Electric range: 30 miles
    • Gasoline range (assuming 33 mpg): 12.4 gallons × 33 mpg = 409.2 miles
    • [The theoretical total range before refueling is needed: 30 miles (electric) + 409.2 miles (gasoline) = 439.2 miles
  1. Regenerative Braking:
  • Regenerative braking is a crucial feature in PHEVs and electric vehicles (EVs).
  • When you apply the brakes or coast, the electric motor acts as a generator, converting kinetic energy back into electrical energy.
  • This energy is stored in the battery, helping to recharge it.
  • While regenerative braking contributes to maintaining the battery charge, it may not fully prevent the battery from running out if you consistently drive beyond the electric range.
  • However, it does enhance overall efficiency and extends the electric range.
  1. Charging Considerations:
  • Since you live in an apartment without charging access, the availability of nearby chargers is essential.
  • Charging at the Hyundai dealer’s installed chargers will allow you to maximize the electric range.
  • Keep in mind that regular home charging (if available later) will be more convenient and cost-effective.

In summary, the Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV offers a practical blend of electric and gasoline power, allowing you to drive gas-free for shorter distances and efficiently switch to hybrid mode for longer trips. [The regenerative braking system helps maintain the battery charge, but it’s essential to plan your driving based on the available electric range and charging infrastructure

1 Like