How do I charge my electric car without a driveway?

Hey everyone, I just joined the electric car club and loving it so far! Except… I live in an apartment building with no assigned parking, let alone a driveway. Uh oh, how am I supposed to keep this thing charged?
Public charging stations seem like an option, but are they always reliable? Anyone have any tips or tricks for charging an electric car without a dedicated parking spot? Maybe there are workarounds or hidden gems I don’t know about. Help a fellow EV newbie out?

1 Like

Our house has a driveway, but we don’t have one. I plug a 12 gauge extension cord into a 110v jack. It goes across the sidewalk, which is not a good idea. It does work, though. Most of the time, I charge my phone this way. When I’m out and about, I recharge at public chargers.

1 Like

If you don’t have a driveway, consider charging your electric car at public charging stations, workplace charging facilities, or using a charger at a friend’s house or a nearby community charging point. Some cities also offer curbside or street charging options to accommodate residents without private driveways.

Navigating charging for an electric vehicle (EV) in an apartment without dedicated parking requires creativity and planning. Start by researching public charging stations nearby using apps like PlugShare or ChargePoint; these platforms provide real-time availability and user reviews to ensure reliability. Utilizing fast chargers when available can minimize charging time. Explore workplace charging options or inquire with your apartment management about installing a charging station or securing a dedicated spot for EVs if feasible. In my experience, I’ve found scheduling charging during off-peak hours and building a routine around nearby charging stations to be effective. Being proactive in checking station availability and having backup plans for charging are crucial for maintaining convenience and ensuring your EV is ready when you need it.

Here are five ways to charge your electric vehicle (EV) without using a home charging station.
Energize your workplace.
You can charge it in a residential parking lot or on the street.
When you shop, charge it.
Give a friend or family member access to a charger.
Make use of the public charging network and the Electroverse.

Public charging stations are generally reliable, but availability can vary. Use apps like PlugShare, ChargePoint, and EVgo to locate and check the status of nearby stations.