Does BMW have something similar to Tesla Autopilot?

I am thinking about trading my '22 Model 3 Performance for an M50. I have a long 150-mile round-trip commute, and autopilot makes the drive much easier. It is essentially adaptive cruise control and auto-steer on the freeway. Does BMW offer anything similar?

1 Like

Yes, BMW offers a comparable system called “Active Driving Assistant,” which includes features for semi-autonomous driving and advanced driver assistance similar to Tesla’s Autopilot.

Hi Madisson, BMW offers a driver-assistance system, Driving Assistant Professional (DAP), akin to Tesla’s Autopilot. Both feature lane centering, adaptive cruise control, and traffic jam assist at Level 2 automation, requiring driver supervision. BMW DAP focuses on highway driving but may have limitations compared to Tesla, which includes automatic lane changes and a more assertive highway driving style. BMW emphasizes driver attention with a camera monitoring system, while Tesla has faced criticism for its driver monitoring approach.

My 2021 M340i has both of those features with ACC turned on. It was part of my driving assistance package. I’m also pretty sure Tesla no longer has the “without touching wheel ever” feature as it was causing people to ignore the road and cause accidents. You have to interact and “apply torque” to the wheel every 30 to 70 seconds otherwise autopilot will disable itself.