Do any cars have frameless windows?

I see more fancy cars ditching door frames. They use electronic handles to make the windows go down when you open the door. Are frameless doors just for looks, or do they have benefits? Are they lighter? It seems like they’re mainly for style, especially in convertibles, but they might complicate things in regular cars. I’m not a car expert, but I’ve seen this a lot in the latest electric car reviews.

While they are indeed stylish and can be found on many high-end and electric vehicles, frameless doors are designed with both form and function in mind. They are not just for convertibles but can be found on various types of vehicles, offering a distinctive look and some performance benefits. However, the potential complications in regular cars are worth considering, especially in terms of durability and maintenance.

This isn’t new. It’s just about how things look. My old car from 1972, the Oldsmobile Delta 88, didn’t have frames on its doors. They called it a “hard top” because of that, compared to the sedan which had framed doors. Requiring the window to roll down a bit might be a trick to make sure it seals well when closed. My Olds didn’t need to do that, and its windows never leaked. This probably helps lessen noise from the wind and keeps things sealed tight when driving fast.

The BMW 8 Series’ window design is a key element of its exterior design. Its frameless windows give the car a sleek and modern look, while also enhancing its aerodynamics and reducing wind noise.

I think while frameless doors do offer some practical benefits, their primary draw is often the visual impact they provide. They are particularly common in higher-end models and convertibles, where style and appearance are key selling points. However, their use in regular cars can be more about making a statement than providing substantial functional advantages.

While frameless doors do add a distinctive style to a vehicle, they also come with practical benefits such as weight reduction and improved aerodynamics. However, they may introduce some complexities, like potential sealing issues and increased road noise.