Difference between lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate

This came up during a conversation about Tesla. I am considering getting a 2016 Model S, and my friend asked if it has LFP batteries or Lithium-ion batteries. I don’t know what LFP is, so I Googled it. I found out that LFP batteries can be charged to 100% without damaging them, unlike Lithium-ion batteries, which shouldn’t be charged to 100% unless necessary.

Is that true? What are the downsides of LFP batteries if they degrade less? I know Lithium-ion batteries are the most common, and Tesla has switched to them. I just want to understand the science a bit better.

1 Like

Alright, so when it comes to batteries for electric cars like your Tesla, there are basically two types: LFP and Lithium-ion. LFP batteries are like the marathon runners - they last longer and can handle being charged up fully without getting too worn out. Plus, they’re safer because they’re not as likely to catch fire. But, they don’t store as much energy, so your Tesla won’t go as far on one charge compared to Lithium-ion batteries.

On the other hand, Lithium-ion batteries are like the sprinters - they’re lighter and give your Tesla more mileage on a single charge. But, you’ve got to treat them gently. Charging them up to 100% all the time can make them wear out faster.

Now, if you’ve got a 2016 Model S, chances are it’s equipped with Lithium-ion batteries. So, to keep your battery healthier for longer, you might want to avoid always charging it up to the max.

Ultimately, the choice between LFP and Lithium-ion boils down to what’s more important to you: having more range on one charge or making sure your battery lasts a good long while.

That’s a great question about Tesla batteries!

• Most Teslas (including 2016 Model S) use regular Lithium-ion batteries. Newer LFP batteries can handle full charges better, but have less range & power.
  • Occasional full charges aren’t a big deal for any Tesla battery.
  • Tesla focuses on performance, so they use Lithium-ion for now.

The key? Choose based on your needs. If range & power are key, 2016 Model S is great. If full charges are your priority, future LFP Teslas might be a better fit!

Li-ion batteries excel in energy density, while LiFePO₄ batteries prioritize safety and stability. The choice depends on the specific use case and requirements.

hello Ivanka, considering the fact about Cycle Durability: LiFePO4 batteries are known for their extended cycle life, allowing them to endure more charge and discharge cycles before experiencing notable degradation. This characteristic results in an overall longer lifespan for the battery.