Can you charge an electric car with a generator?

Probably a silly question, but is it possible to tow a generator with an electric vehicle (EV) and have it charge the EV while driving? :sweat_smile:

I know you will need to manage the cables well to keep everything secure, but is it theoretically possible?

This is just a discussion, not something we plan to try. My friends and I were curious (none of us own EVs).

I mean a large generator with a big fuel tank, like those used for highway lights.

1 Like

hallo aint advisable but we are told generaly, itā€™s feasible to charge an electric car with a generator, itā€™s often not the most practical or advisable method.

1 Like

Yes, generators are ā€œjust anotherā€ power source, thus charging an electric car is also possible if you follow the standard guidelines.

1 Like

Hell no a generator can not generate enough electricity for the car. It canā€™t be a bad attempt but it will not generate sufficient power.

1 Like

Youā€™d need a high-wattage generator to charge an electric vehicle. EV chargers can consume a large amount of power, so be sure the generatorā€™s output can meet the EVā€™s charging requirements. But also remember that while it is theoretically possible, itā€™s not a simple task and would likely require significant expertise and resources.