Can BMW i4 use Tesla Supercharger?

Hey everyone, I’m thinking about getting a new BMW i4, and love the idea of all the fast-charging options available. But I keep seeing conflicting info about using Tesla Superchargers with the i4.
Can BMW i4s actually use Tesla Superchargers, or is that just a rumor? If they can, is there anything special I need to do, like an adapter?

1 Like

The Tesla Supercharger is not compatible with the BMW i4. The BMW i4 and other other electric vehicles are incompatible with Tesla Superchargers, which are made exclusively for Tesla automobiles and have a proprietary charging connector and communication protocol. For DC fast charging, the BMW i4 employs the CCS (Combined Charging System) Type 2 connector, which is a standard utilized by a large number of electric vehicles in Europe and increasingly in other regions as well. Conversely, Tesla cars utilize a special hookup designed just for them to supercharge. The BMW i4 must therefore use CCS-compatible DC fast chargers when charging, even if efforts are being made to standardize charging protocols and connectors across various electric car manufacturers. As of right now, Tesla Superchargers are exclusive to Tesla automobiles.

1 Like

Hello Smith. BMW i4s use the CCS charging standard, which is different from Tesla’s proprietary plug. To use a Tesla Supercharger, you would typically need an adapter.

1 Like

Yes, with the CCS adaptor.

The ability of a BMW i4 to use Tesla Superchargers is somewhat nuanced.

Limited Supercharger Access for BMW i4 (in the US):

• Not All Superchargers Work: As of June 26, 2024, most BMW i4s cannot directly use Tesla Superchargers in the United States due to differences in charging port standards.

Tesla Superchargers with Magic Dock (Limited Locations):

• Specific Stations with Adapters: A small number of Tesla Supercharger stations in the US are equipped with a special adapter called the “Magic Dock.”
  • Adapter Required: The Magic Dock acts as a converter, allowing CCS-equipped vehicles (like the BMW i4) to connect to the Tesla Supercharger network.
  • BMW Not Supplying Adapters (Yet): BMW is not currently distributing the Magic Dock adapter widely to i4 owners in the US.

Supercharger Access in Europe:

• Wider Availability: In Europe, Tesla Superchargers equipped for CCS vehicles are more common, making them more accessible to the BMW i4.

Additional Considerations:

• Fast-Charging Options for i4: The BMW i4 is compatible with other fast-charging networks such as Electrify America and DC Fast Chargers (CCS compatible). These networks are expanding rapidly and provide fast-charging options for the i4.
  • Future Integration: There may be future developments regarding official collaboration between Tesla and BMW or wider availability of Magic Docks in the US. It’s advisable to stay updated on any official announcements.

It could happen in the future with an adaptor; Tesla is doing the opposite with their CCS → NACS adapter.