Are Portable EV Chargers Needed?

Hello guys,
I was checking out different cars and how far they can go on a single charge. I was thinking about taking a long trip across North America. But I’m not sure if I should bring a portable charger for my electric car. Right now, there aren’t enough charging stations, so I’m worried about running out of battery. Do I need to bring a portable charger, or are there enough charging stations in Canada and the US? And if I do need one, which companies sell these chargers?

1 Like

In Canada, there are about 9,458 electric vehicle charging stations, according to Natural Resources Canada.
These stations come in two types: Level 2 and DC fast charging.
Level 2 stations give you about 16 to 32 kilometers of range for every hour you charge. On the other hand, DC fast charging stations offer a faster charge, giving you roughly 95 to 130 kilometers of range in just 20 minutes.
According to the Alternative Fuels Data Center, there are over 56,000 EV charging stations in the USA. Most of these are open to the public. These stations offer around 147,700 charging ports with varying speeds.
Level 2 chargers are the most widespread, offering 25 miles of range per hour, followed by DC fast charging ports, which can provide 100 to 200 miles of range in just 30 minutes. The number of DC fast charging ports is increasing quickly compared to other types.

1 Like

A portable charger still requires access to a 240V outlet, which could potentially be the limiting factor during most road trips (unless you frequently stop at locations equipped with such outlets).

1 Like

The need for a portable EV charger largely depends on your specific use case, including where you live, how you use your vehicle, and the EV infrastructure in your area. Here’s a breakdown to help you decide:

Why You Might Need a Portable EV Charger

1. Travel in Remote Areas: If you frequently travel to or through areas with sparse EV charging infrastructure, a portable charger can serve as a backup to ensure you can charge from a regular electrical outlet if necessary.
  2. Emergency Situations: In case you misjudge the available range or encounter out-of-service charging stations, having a portable charger can provide peace of mind.
  3. Home Charging Without Installation: If you cannot install a Level 2 home charging station due to renting or the cost associated with upgrades and installation, a portable charger allows you to charge from a standard household outlet.

Charging Infrastructure in Canada and the US

Both Canada and the US have been rapidly expanding their EV charging infrastructure. However, the density of charging stations can vary significantly:

• Urban Areas: In cities and densely populated areas, the network of public charging stations is usually more robust, potentially reducing the need for a portable charger for daily use.
  • Highways and Popular Routes: Major highways and routes popular with travelers often have sufficient fast-charging options, but availability can vary, and during peak times, waiting for a charger can be an issue.
  • Remote Areas: For those traveling in remote areas or regions with less developed infrastructure, finding charging stations can still be challenging.

Do You Need One?

Evaluate your typical driving patterns, the EV range, and the availability of charging stations along your routes. For most daily commutes and urban driving, the existing infrastructure may be adequate. However, for long-distance travel, especially in less populated areas, carrying a portable charger could be a wise precaution.

Where to Buy Portable EV Chargers

Several companies manufacture and sell portable EV chargers, offering various features and capabilities. Some well-known companies include:

• ChargePoint: Known for their network of public chargers, they also offer portable solutions.
  • Tesla: Offers a mobile connector
1 Like

Portable EV chargers only give you about 20 miles of charge. That’s enough to get you to a public charging station nearby. But they’re not good for replacing home or public chargers.

A portable EV charger could be a great addition to your EV tool kit.And if in need of one find them in EV charging stations at low cost