Are NEMA 14-50 outlets really that "weird" for electricians to install?

I’m having a weird experience with the electricians I’ve contacted to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage. I told them that I needed a 240v outlet installed, they said “OK! We’ll come by later this week to do that.” I forwarded Ford’s handy PDF explaining the requirements. I didn’t hear back from them, but didn’t think much about it.

They then call me before they’re scheduled to show up asking what exactly the outlet will be for. I told them EV charging and that I sent them the PDF with the specs. They said “Oh no, this is probably going to be a lot more expensive than we thought, I didn’t see the PDF before”. Their electrical manager came over, reviewed the PDF (he didn’t see it either), took a bunch of notes, grumbled that it recommended a GFCI, and said they would get back to me with an estimate.

Aren’t NEMA outlets pretty standard things to install for dryers & stoves? Why are these guys acting weird about this? I only went with them because our preferred electricians were booking out 12 weeks.

1 Like

When I had one put the previous year, I instructed them to add a 50 Amp circuit breaker and a Nema 14-50 for the garage. I didn’t explain to them why it was needed. The sum paid was $389.00. comprising the five-foot pipe that was employed. All installed and circuit breakers were included in the price. You don’t need anything else unless you plan to install the large one for the lighting that has a power backup. A 100 Amp breaker and 80 utilization are needed for the backup. Additionally, a specialized service installs it.