Anyone charging their vehicle directly from solar panels?

I am attempting to figure out how to charge an electric car while the sun is shining directly from a 3.6 kW solar panel array.

What technology is available to do this?

I realize that this may function at night if we had a large battery system also. If this does not exist, can I charge a car using solar panels, a charge controller, and a battery system?

What is the name of the apparatus that would be compatible with both systems?

1 Like

If you add a battery to this setup, it will work better. :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Solar panels, a charge controller, and a battery can all be used together to make a setup. But there is a catch: standard charge controllers are not made for high-voltage car batteries but for batteries used in off-grid solar setups.
To make sure safety and proper operation, changing a system so that it can charge cars would need extra tools and knowledge. For this method, it’s best to talk to a trained solar installer.

Yes, many people charge their electric vehicles (EVs) directly from solar panels installed at their homes or properties.

I’ve been charging my electric vehicle (EV) directly from solar panels for about two years now, and it’s been a great experience. I installed a solar panel system on my roof along with a solar inverter and a dedicated EV charger. During the day, my car charges using the power generated from the panels, which not only saves me money on electricity but also reduces my carbon footprint.

The installation process was straightforward, and I worked with a local solar company to ensure everything was set up correctly. The key is to make sure your solar system is sized appropriately to meet your vehicle’s charging needs. On sunny days, I can often fully charge my car without drawing any power from the grid.