Any Idea on Jeep Level 2 Charger Installation?

Hey all, I just got myself a sweet new Jeep Wrangler 4xe (plug-in hybrid), and I’m super excited to experience the world of electric charging. However, I’m a bit fuzzy on the whole “Level 2 charger installation” thing. From what I’ve gathered, a Level 2 charger is the way to go for faster charging at home compared to the standard plug. But the whole process of getting it installed seems a bit daunting.
So, fellow Jeep enthusiasts who have taken the Level 2 charging plunge, can you lend a hand?

Hey there, congrats on the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe! It’s awesome that you’re stepping into the electric charging scene. You’ve got it right; a Level 2 charger is your best bet for a quicker charge at home, significantly cutting down charging time compared to the standard outlet.

Installing a Level 2 charger does sound like a big step, but it’s pretty straightforward with the right preparation. Essentially, you’ll need to run a 240-volt line from your breaker panel to where you’ll be charging your Jeep.

This usually means installing a double-pole circuit breaker and using a 4-strand cable to create the 240-volt circuit.

Many folks opt to have an electrician put in a NEMA 14-50 outlet in their garage, which is similar to a dryer outlet, and then you can just plug your Level 2 charger right into that.

When picking out a charger, there are several well-regarded options that are popular in the Jeep community.

Some chargers even offer smart features that let you schedule your charging times, which can be super useful.

The most important thing is to make sure your electrical setup can handle the new charger and that everything is installed safely, following your local electrical codes.

It’s always a good idea to get a professional electrician to take a look and make sure everything’s set up correctly.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the new ride and the faster charging experience!

As a fellow 4xe owner, I can provide some knowledge. The 4xe combines a gasoline engine and an electric motor and it may operate in Electric, Hybrid and eSave modes. The included Level 1 connection charges the battery using a regular outlet and takes approximately 12-14 hours to completely charge. A Level 2 charger is much faster (3-10 hours depending on amperage), but it requires professional installation. You may find public charging stations using applications, but remember to observe safety requirements while charging. The installation may appear difficult, but many electricians are familiar with the process.